Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Cataloging we meet again

Cataloging is like my friend that is so annoying but I need that friend because she/he is a true and reliable friend. Albeit annoying.

So I was introduced to how cataloging is done in EFLC. Basically its a easy to do cataloging since I don't need to write it anymore in a 3 by 5 cataloging card. Instead I'll just fill out the needed items in the form-like interface from the database that EFLC has.

I'll explain as best as I can about the library database in EFLC.

Apart from changing work assignment since I have done my 40 hours in circulation. My supervisor also changed from Miss Rica Manalo to Sir Marshal Batiancilla.

Back to being introduced to cataloging. While Sir Marshal was explaining the cataloging process, my eyes were dropping down and I kept on yawning and stretching. I know Sir Mars knows I was sleepy but he kept on explaining it which was torture at is best. When there is a phone call, I thank God for that because that is the only time I could snooze. I really did snooze while he talks to someone on the phone.

After the little drowsy orientation, I was given CDs to catalog. Basically I just did copy-cataloging and changed the year published.

I guess Sir Mars gave me this because he knows that I REALLY HATE CATALOGING.

This is my original input while doing cataloging

Cataloging is really not and never will be my forte of expertise. Though the cataloging process is a bit different here, it doesn't change the fact that I still has a state of distaste in cataloging. Good thing, Sir Marsial, my supervisor, helped me greatly at how to catalog BSP way.

I have to do 75 HOURS of cataloging and I am crying right now. But I am constantly being assisted by my supervisor and other "co-workers" that its easy and that I can do it. 

Their cataloging process is electronic yet manual. Electronic because they do not used card catalogs anymore; Manual because they will manually and arduously have to type the entire important details step by step. Comparing the library system of UP and BSP, UP has the upper hand but thats biased since UP is an academic library and BSP is an special library. This is InMagic the library system of BSP. It has a form like interface which takes the "Manual" part and "Electronic" part since it is done on the computer. Speaking of which is as old as me. Even thought facility wise like the building, their equipements aren't as updated as expected to be.

I have only cataloged CDs since it is a priority this month for Sir Marsial, the only cataloger in the library. His aim for the month is to catalog and label and show case that Electronic resources particularly the CDs in EFLC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment