Thursday, February 25, 2016

Indexing: DONE



Indexing is finally over! 

On my fourth to the last day, I continued indexing the rest of the articles together with their subject headings already and added the subject headings from those articles I indexed already. Honestly I skimmed the article and see what subject headings I can provide. Sometimes the subject headings seem repetitive but then sky's the limit.

After which I encoded the articles in the IPN (Index to Philippine Newspapers) which is basically the same process as with the IPB but the interface is different.

I will miss indexing though because I felt so relaxed here and I don’t get to do much besides read an article, think about the subject heading, write the necessary information it in a 3 by 5 paper, search the appropriate subject heading, encode it and repeat the process. Also I like indexing because in the indexing section is the only place I could smell newly cooked rice from their rice cooker, it makes me hungry yes but it reminds me of home. (Weird huh?)
Surprisingly, indexing could be put into one sentence when describing the work: 
the endless clicking of the mouse and typing of the keyboard.
End Product of my Newspaper Indexing

End Product of my Newspaper Indexing 

End Product of my Magazine Indexing
End Product of my Magazine indexing

It’s so automatic that personally as much as its unavoidable to do so being a librarian, I wish my work wouldn’t be that boring and lifeless.



I prefer to be always moving, always interacting, always in the moment. Maybe general reference would be for me but that is still unknown.
My last work was encoding the last articles I indexed in the newspaper (Manila Bulletin) I was given. So far it was easy since most of the subject headings I could think of are in the records and I don’t know if I did it wrong in such a way that is/are my subject headings too vague, too repetitive, too much? I sometimes wonder if librarianship is for me because there are times that I enjoy and times where I want to throw the RDA rule book or AARC book or any handbook out of the window.

It’s odd though that I didn’t get the chance to indexed scholarly articles but then I guess they are somehow similar to indexing an article from a magazine or a newspaper.
Indexing is fun. Though I wish it would be more alive. I will never forget my time there because in indexing I got to sit in any way I want, I did my job earlier than expected, and I will never forget looking at Sir Emar nodding his head in the music only he could hear while doing his work.
Now onto UARD, the longest hours of them all!






No comments:

Post a Comment