Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Indexing: Guidelines and Magazines


My time in the Indexing Section is not memorable this week. Why? Because it my UAAP season and it’s UP Fair week and it’s LIS Congress . To be honest, ever since my last week on doing my OJT I am still exhausted and all I want to do is take a rest and do some academics (but let’s be honest here I am not a person to do academics unless it’s near the deadline or if I love the subject *tehe*). So this week I just did minimum hours because I have my priorities (LOL).
I first studied the principles and guides in indexing and I was surprised that it’s so different from what I studied in my LIS 64 class. I mean there are similarities here and there but I never thought it would be THAT different. By different I mean, I expected to look through books and get peculiar words and list them together with their page number and compile then alphabetise them--little did I know that I was going to serials indexing. I was taught how to do indexing from Sir Emar.
These are the guidelines


I was given magazines and what I’m going to do are the following:
Since UP Main Library indexes all possible articles regarding about the Philippines especially about UP, we must look at every magazine, serials, and newspaper for articles regarding the said two and we must index them accordingly. In indexing you must make a hard copy by writing the needed details about the article and then write the subject headings in a small (the staff sometimes use recycled raffle tickets and write the details behind it or use 3 by 5 papers) piece of paper then transfer it on their digital database.  I was given People Asia magazines. Most of the articles are about famous people who are Filipino or about restaurants or hotels or business in the Philippines.
Sample 1
Sample 2


My thoughts about the indexing section: 

It’s so quiet and library users are one or two only. This section is rarely used and I feel I could hear a pin needle drop in that area. Also the indexing section, particularly works are less rigid than the cataloging section in regards in doing library work. The staff are either too engrossed in their work and there is no background music unlike in the cataloging section even if the songs are songs in the 1980’s.



No comments:

Post a Comment