Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cataloging: Author fitting/ Unit Library Verification and Cataloging

After finishing my Author fitting duties, I finally got to do Cataloging! I never knew what to expect but it wasn't what I did today.

Author Fitting and Cataloging

So in cataloging, we do Copy-Cataloging.



Copy Cataloging or Copyloging is just getting the cataloged book from the databases in other Universities in the States such as those in California and such or look at the Ohio Database or Library of Congress if they have cataloged the book you have. Mostly all of the books have a catalog already except those written locally or those written in languages besides English.

Once you got the catalog copy that you got from either parties then all you have to edit are the year of publication -- basically removing the "()" from the year, the physical description, the call number and cutter number, and the notes area**.

**Take note that the notes area can be useful thus there are some notes that are long for cataloging purposes

I only cataloged books with the mark "A2" (Adaptations).

After getting the editing done, you print a copy and encircle the accession number and location of the book. Write as well the accession number and indicate it whether is its an adaptation or edition. And insert the print-out inside the book. Then write the call number of the book on the copyright page.

Cataloge Book Sample

Print out Sample

Dummy Card Sample

Cataloged Book Sample


So that is cataloging. Or rather Copyloging.

Also I was tasked to write something out of a catalog card but the thing is, it must be written by the typewriter provided and I was dumbstruck at how to use the typewriter. I don't even know how to put the paper in! So yes, I asked for help and have to swallow my shame for not knowing how to use a typewriter when I was a kid I used to play with the typewriter of my aunt.



No comments:

Post a Comment