Saturday, May 7, 2016

Filipiniana Section: Bibligraphic Search, Control Desk, Shelving and Shelf Reading



Two words I would like to describe my fifth and final leg of the race.  On my first day of my last section, I was adamant to finish within a week since a lot of my classmates are already done with their OJT.

Initially I was supposed to start my OJT on Saturday but the head librarian of the Filipiniana Section wasn’t there and the staff told me to start my day on Monday.

Back to my first day. I did was bibliographic searching, shelving, and control desk.
    
Bibliographic Searching is just looking at the Ilib website and looking at the status of the gifted book and see whether it is “In Process” or “On Shelf” on the FI section only (if the other copy of the same book is found other where such as the Social Science Section, then we will disregard it and only see the Fi Section only). If its “In Process” then I will mark a book at 0 FI. If the book has more than one copy or is a volume or series and all of them are 0 FI then I will mark it as 0 FI and below it the number of copies and/or volumes included. If the book has “On Shelf” then it means that the Fi Section has a copy and I will mark the book as check Fi. There are some books that are not gifts given so I have to separate them and let the librarian do another process that I was not assigned.
I haven’t counted how many I have done since the Fi Section were lacking personnel and I was on-the-clock meaning every hour I will change routines with other staffs.




After an hour, I was ordered to do shelving and paging but mostly all I did was shelving. I got dizzy since the Filipiniana Section isn't air conditioned and the dust. So after a while I rested and stood near the electric fan and then back again. 

On my last hour of the day, I did controlling which is basically the table near the door where the security scanner is. 


All I have to do is count the number of students coming in the section, checking if they are enrolled this semester and when students leave the section, I have to check their bags and see that they didn't hide any book in the collection. I also did shelf reading for a while. Shelf reading is just checking if the book/s are on their proper shelves and if not then I must find their proper place. Organization and all.






No comments:

Post a Comment